Australia's elusive platypus faces many threats to its survival in the wild
Australia's elusive platypus faces many threats to its survival in the wild - Spotter projects hope to protect the iconic species from local extinctions #environment
There's a lot of people saying a lot of things about the Voice and the Statement from the Heart. Today, I'm just going to use my voice, such as it is, to humbly ask that you read the statement and hear the voice of our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander brothers and sisters.
This is why you are being asked to support Voice. All else is noise.
An emblematic documentary salvaged during Chile's dictatorship has been restored
A considered account of how & why to vote #referendum2023 #auspol
Will today be the day that you read the #statementfromtheheart
Listicle of Six Things Because People Read Listicles
1. It'll take about 3-4 minutes to read.
2. It's the reason Australia is having the referendum.
3. 85% of voters have still not read it or heard it
4. Voting is compulsory for Australians over 18 (as is registering to vote, which you must do in the next couple of weeks if you haven't already)
5. If you don't know, find out. If you're too lazy to spend a few minutes understanding what is being asked, then voting 'no' isn't the 'safer' option. The status quo is decidedly unsafe. Ignorance harms.
6. The Voice is one of three requests in the Statement. The other two are arguably even more important (#Treaty and #Truth), but the #Voice is what the government has decided to respond to first and is the only question on the referendum.
7. No one likes a list with six items in it
A summons to all platypus fans. I’m writing a story about the platypus for @globalvoices Greatly appreciate any input: stories, links, images, toots etc
Australian journalists imprisoned in China anxiously await diplomatic breakthrough
CW: Opinion re the Australian 2023 referendum for the indigenous Voice to Parliament.
Hi, hello. I'm going to be banging on about this for a few weeks because I believe this is something important in our growth as a nation. This is a long read, so don't feel obliged, but please when you make your choice in the referendum, I beg that your reasoning is based on facts.
How do the 'yes' and 'no' cases stack up? Constitutional law experts take a look
‘I haven't seen a tree in three years’: An Australian journalist’s prison letter from China - Cheng Lei is facing espionage charges globalvoices.org/2023/08/17/i-h… via @globalvoices
My @smh cartoon.
Good morning handing out #Yes23 flyers at #BondiJunction train station. And where commuters didn't take one when I called out "Support the #VoiceToParliament", I got smiles, thumbs ups and "I'm voting Yes". 👍 #VoteYes #VoteYesAustralia
10 questions about the Voice to Parliament - answered by the experts
Hong Kong’s homegrown security law, Article 23, is back in the spotlight
‘Welcome to Sex': Australian sex-ed book tops bestseller list, despite campaign to block sales
Complaints, online threats, and abuse directed at store staff backfired
Climate-fueled disruption in the Asia-Pacific region
Cascading climate impacts would “drive political instability and greater national insecurity, and fuel regional and international conflict” and “Australia’s disaster relief capacity is underfunded and overwhelmed”.
“The risk of several global-scale tipping points being triggered this century has increased, according to the scientific literature...The world is dangerously off track to meet the Paris Agreement goals, the risks are compounding and the impacts will be devastating in the coming decades...The physical impacts of climate change and the system-level changes “compound and cascade in a non-linear way.”
#water #drought #desertification #SupplyChains #insecurity #TippingPoints #climate #preparedness #heatwaves #bushfire #FailedStates